My blog contains a large number of posts. A few are included in various other publications, or as attached stories and chronicles in my emails; many more are found on loose leaves, while some are written carelessly in margins and blank spaces of my notebooks. Of the last sort most are nonsense, now often unintelligible even when legible, or half-remembered fragments. Enjoy responsibly.

Tuesday, March 28, 2006

I can’t believe I’m responding to this question

I post quite a bit on Yahoo Answers and got barraged with questions when I posted a description as to the process of evolution as a theory on the same level as gravity (let’s hope there aren’t still people arguing that gravity doesn’t really exist). Here was the brunt of his argument: If we evolved from monkeys, why are monkeys still here?

So let me post this publicly, just in case someone else who can both read and thinks that this is a valid question might see it.

Because we all came from the common ancestor. It’s like wolves and dogs. Dogs evolved from wolves, but we still have wolves. Not everything has to evolve into the same thing (or at the same rate). So wolves in one place in the world can evolve close to where they’ve been for millions of years, and wolves with human interaction can evolve into the mutts we have in the house.

There, enough of that. I can’t believe we still have people so intellectually lazy on this planet. At this rate we will may actually start to devolve.

No comments: