My blog contains a large number of posts. A few are included in various other publications, or as attached stories and chronicles in my emails; many more are found on loose leaves, while some are written carelessly in margins and blank spaces of my notebooks. Of the last sort most are nonsense, now often unintelligible even when legible, or half-remembered fragments. Enjoy responsibly.

Friday, May 19, 2006

Wasn't that commandment an option?

I was reading the news this morning and came across an article about Secretary of State Condoleezza Rice receiving an honorary degree from Jesuit Boston College University this week and that struck me as kind of odd. I mean, here is a school steeped in religious doctrine and they are honoring someone who now holds the position for the continued war and subsequent justification of such war in Iraq.

Now I’m not religious in any way, but I know that "Thou shall not murder" or “לֹא תִרְצַחis probably open to all sorts of interpretation such as, "Sure, but what if we think that they might, maybe one day harm us? Wouldn't even Jesus kill all of them in the name of pre-emptive justice?" I mean, suuuure if you want to get technical about it (like the church) murder and killing people is wrong. But why not shower these people who killed in our name as heroes now that the war has been justified through the finding of Weapons of.... Osama... The connection between al-Qaeda and... ....ok, so there was no real justification to killing all of those people. But still, who the hell wants to admit they were wrong. It's not like Jesus ever taught humility.

No comments: